Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 01:39:28 GMT
From:      PEB@amleth.demon.co.uk (Paul E. Bennett)
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PCMCIA card Ethernet.

In rc.conf I have the pccard_enable ="YES" but I am not seeing any
activity from the Ethernet and Combo-card I am trying to use for
my connectivity.

The machine is a Dell Inspiron 3800.

Is there a file where the various hardware devices and their settings
are listed or configured which I can check or do I have to go back
and run trhough booting from CD again?

I have most of a system up and running and am enjoying KDE. However,
I am keen to move my email and newsgroup access over to the new machine
but until I get either of the interfaces workin that is going to be
difficult.

The Ethernet-only Card is a Fast Ethernet 10/100 from Aztel. Supposedly
compatible with NE2000 but plugs into the PCMCIA slot. Can use a wide
range of IRQ's, I/O ports and memory block allocations but Aztel do not
mention the card defaults or the card's MAC address. I would be using
the 56k internal (soft?) modem module if this combination would work.

The Combo Card is a Silicom Ethernet/33k6 modem card which works in
another laptop running DOS/Win95. I have a table of data for where
the defaults were supposed to lie but the best I have obtained with
this in the dell was a hung machine. The MAC address is reported as
00.00.B0.DF.50.59 for this card.

Lack of information from card and system manufacturers means I am
groping around a bit but this lack of information is a trend that
seems to be getting more prevelent.

Any clues as to where in FreeBSD I can look to resolve my configuration
problems would be appreciated. What I have seen so far has me hooked
here despite this minor set-back.

Paul E. Bennett ....................<email://peb@amleth.demon.co.uk>
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....<http://www.amleth.demon.co.uk/>;
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 .........NOW AVAILABLE:- HIDECS COURSE......
Tel: +44 (0)1235-814586 .... see http://www.feabhas.com for details.