Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2019 07:05:39 +0200
From:      Matthias Oestreicher <matthias@smormegpa.no>
To:        "Matthias R." <exoflux@posteo.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: silent disk drive

Am Samstag, den 15.06.2019, 02:01 +0200 schrieb Matthias R.:
> Hello,
> thanx for having this group, my question: how do I find out which process is writing
> every minute to the disk drive so that it wakes up the hard drive. I am using a
> gerneric installation 12.0 and types
> camcontrol sleep ada0
> Every time I do that it will wake up afer some 60 sec. and writes somewhere I cannot
> find out.
> Do you know something helpful? It#s that I like the silence to read...
Are you trying to make the disk sleep that you run FreeBSD on?
If yes, it will most likely be cron, checking the crontab files. It does that every
minute. Setting the hard disk to sleep is the wrong approach in your case.
I'd rather suspend-to-ram the computer, by running 'acpiconf -s3'. The whole computer
will then sleep until you touch the keyboard/move mouse. In most cases, suspend does
not require any configuration, but sometimes it needs some BIOS or sysctl changes (and
it does not work at all if you have Nvidia graphics).
Hope that helps
Matthias