Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 10:36:22 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -stable (in)stability (was Re: Best version of FBSD for INN ?)

Hi,

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Doug wrote:

> 	Please don't crosspost. Thanks.

 Sorry, but I think this is needed in order to attract attention on
-hackers; if I'm wrong please let me know.

> Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> >
> > And - to add to this - I still can freeze up my pentium
> > laptop rather quickly (3.2-RELEASE
>
> 	This would be a lot more useful if you were actually using -Stable. As
> it is there is no way to know if any of the hundreds of changes between
> your -Release and the present have improved (or for that matter
> worsened) your situation.

 Judging from my experiences I'd say the problem got introduced sometime
in the month of August -- eversince that, though I tracked -stable, the
problem manifested continously.

 But there is something that we should pay attention: Alan Cox's patch on
sys/i386/include/atomic.h,sys/i386/i386/atomic.c (committed 24th August in
RELENG_3) and Luigi's suggested patch on sys/vm/vm_object.h -- you
can get the details tracking the "3.2-STABLE hangs after several hours"
thread started 19th August on -stable. Re-reading the thread I realise
that the problems seem to have started on 28th July -- at least 6th August
for me.

 Could someone suggest me a way to catch where the problem hides itself ?
Could "INVARIANTS" in kernel help me ?

 Thanks,
 Ady (@warpnet.ro)