Date:      Mon, 3 May 2004 12:47:09 -0700
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel Roethlisberger <daniel@roe.ch>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: autoconf/automake guru wanted [gnuplot-4.0 with patches]

On May 01, 2004, at 07:45, Daniel Roethlisberger wrote:
> However, I think there might be a bug in the automake17 port which
> causes calls to `automake-1.7' to appear in generated Makefiles.

Yup.  Haven't tracked it down yet, but I'm in the midst of the
infrastructural changes relating to autotools, rather than the ports
themselves right now.  I have one relatively large-sweeping patch in
ports/66037 waiting for a 4-exp run (then fixes, and another).

Next step after that is to kill off the "default" autoconf and
automake, (without version suffix), moving all of them to version
numbered setups (as has already been done with libtool), so that ports
really do have to use the appropriate Makefile knobs, rather than
relying on current behavior.

Then, of course, after that, though this can run in parallel after
66037 is committed, is to migrate ports over to the latest and greatest
(?!:) versions of libtool/autoconf/automake.  Whilst there are a whole
slew of backwards incompatibilities, certainly migrating anything from
automake17->18, and autoconf257->259 should be relatively
straightforward.

-aDe