Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 2008 19:22:45 +0200
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS Advice

--nextPart16988886.SpBpzAnUjj

> - Which brand of controllers are best supported by FreeBSD? I've seen
> 3Ware, Areca and LSI mentioned, and the prices are all pretty much the
> same. Can anyone share some of their experiences with these vendors?

I realize I am ignoring the most interesting bits of your post, but I recen=
tly=20
found indications that the HighPoint driver in FreeBSD supports port=20
multipliers. I found someone claiming that it is supported on a mailinglist=
=2E=20
Checking HighPoint does list multiplier support as an "official" card featu=
re=20
for those cards that support it, and they are maintaining FreeBSD has a=20
supported platform AFAIK. I sent a request to them to confirm whether this=
=20
was indeed the case, but haven't received a response (yet?).

Since you mention  you're on a budget, I thought I'd mention this since, ri=
ght=20
now, the most likely future path for me will be either HighPoint if I can=20
confirm multiplier support, or future FreeBSD releases given that multiplie=
r=20
support seems to be on the way in for various controllers.

=2D-=20
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org