Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 10:32:00 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Dmitrij Tejblum <tejblum@arc.hq.cti.ru>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: kernel debugging assistance

> I don't think that this dump is useful for debugging this problem. Perhaps, if
> you compile the kernel with DEBUG_LOCKS, you will get more useful info.
>
> Dima

I checked through the source for DEBUG_LOCKS, it doesn't appear to do anything
other than to printout information.... information that I already have access
to by way of this dump file.  I will turn it on regardless swo it makes my
life a bit more simple.

In looking through this, and at the program that used to cause this problem
reliably (it no longer does, even though nothing changed on the client or
workstation; I am guessing that it is a race condition that happens 5% of
the time and I filled my quota for the next 20 years ;) I have a theory
what is going on...  NFS service is entirely in the kernel for FreeBSD,
excepting the NFSDs which mostly sit arround to give the kernel contexts to
pass requests into.  NFS uses its own namei mechanism which requests a lock
on what it is looking up.  What if it gets 2 requests at about the same
time for the same file.  That would certainly seem a likely cause for this
problem.  I note that all the files that are causing this crash are
files that would be accessed in the aforementioned behaviour; netscape
cache files, .Xauthority-c, and the data file for the test prgram which
is accessed rapidly and repeatedly.

Does this seem like a reasonable theory to anyone?
--
David Cross                               |  email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Systems Administrator/Research Programmer |  Web: http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~crossd