Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 2023 14:22:47 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        David <freebsd@telaman.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Screen recognition.

On Wed, 4 Jan 2023 18:03:04 +1000
David <freebsd@telaman.net.au> wrote:

> Hullo,
>

> Struggling a bit with my first FreeBSD install.
>
> Mouse and keyboard are detected without any trouble, but the monitor, a
> Dahua LM24-S420, is not giving a lot of joy. This monitor usually works
> at 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, but is not delivering anything like that now.
> Current spec is 1024x768.
>
> xrandr states:
>
> xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
> Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768

	This looks like your video card is being driven in VESA mode, you
should probably (AMD or Intel video) install the drm-kmod package and set up
the appropriate kld_list line in /etc/rc.conf (see the package message for
details tl;dr one of "amdgpu", "i915kms" or "radeonkms" depending on
chipset). It's been a while since I've had any nVidia hardware so I'll defer
to others on that.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>