Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:39:52 +0800
From:      Ganbold <ganbold@micom.mng.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gnome update

Doug Barton wrote:
> Ganbold wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to update gnome to 2.16 using portmaster for more than 3
>> days :(
>
> I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble. Are you sure you're
> using the latest version of portmaster (1.9)?

Yes.

>> 1. Every time after some error when I try to run portmaster -r
>> pkg-config\*
>> it starts from the beginning. Maybe there is some option to skip
>> updated ports. How to tell portmaster to skip updated ports?
>
> By definition the -r flag means "update the ports that depend on this
> port no matter what." Jeremy's suggestion of using the -i flag is a
> good one though. You will only have to enter your choices (to build a
> port or not) only one time, during the 'make config' stage.

ok, but how do I know whether particular port was updated or not, if I
didn't check before the port version?

>> 2. After upgrading some port it asks whether to delete the source
>> file or not. I don't want to press button everytime.
>> Is it possible to have option something like '[y][n][Allyes][allnO]'?
>
> Please read the man page for portmaster. I've tried to thoroughly
> document its behavior and options.
>
>> 3. While portmaster running, I manually updated libtheora port.  When
>> portmaster reaches libtheora, it stops with error.
>
> It's not really a good idea to do that, but it's impossible to advise
> you without knowing what the error was.

When you make install certain port it complains to deinstall and
reinstall again. So this is the error I forgot to mention.

>> Is it possible for portmaster to give user some choices in this case
>> like "[Skip]..."?
>
> That depends. I'm looking at ways to give the user the option to
> continue if there is an error in _some_ situations, but the ports
> system relies on a fundamental principle that everything is going to
> work together, so if you have something that's not working, it would
> be almost impossible to build the level of artificial intelligence
> into portmaster to determine how serious the error is, or what to do
> about it. That's really the sysadmin's job.

Yeah, I guess you are maybe right. I will try again my gnome update
procedure.

thanks,

Ganbold