Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 02:03:53 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Danny J. Zerkel" <dzerkel@columbus.rr.com>, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov,Moscow,408-7227,123-4567,Some-info" <vova@express.ru>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: short uid/gid

Robert Watson wrote:
> While I think support for the IPC_64 flag under emulation is useful, I'd
> rather make use of compatibility system calls and type improvements for
> the base FreeBSD implementation of the System V IPC APIs.  Most of the
> work necessary to support those changes is required in order to better
> support fine-grained locking and MAC (breaking out the user and kernel
> structures).  Also, it means future applications will make use of the
> improved APIs by default.  In addition, other systems, such as Solaris,
> have already made this change in this way, avoiding the IPC_64 flag
> design.

You could also simply use non-intersecting cmd parameter values
for the new calls, which avaids the special flag, and leaves the
backward compatability without adding grundles of new system calls.

I thought that everything was going to 64 bits and we were getting
a new system call entry vector in 5.x, anyway... wasn't Matt going
to do something like that?

-- Terry