Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:46:38 -0600
From:      Mcclain Looney <mcclain@looneys.net>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is ant good for?

On Tuesday 26 February 2002 10:08 am, you wrote:

> But every time I've looked at anyone's ant script (is script
> the right word?), it's seemed alarmingly complex.

sorta like a decent makefile? :)  it is possible to write a simple ant make
file, in fact i keep one around as a starter template for new projects.  what
you have seen are probably relatively complex ant files.   getting make to do
the same stuff (build javadoc, run junit tests etc) would probably take even
more lines, and actually be less readable to the uninitiated.

> So I'm wondering whether ant does anything that would make it
> worth the effort of learning to use it.

it's much easier to grok (imho), and was designed for java and it's weird
directory tendencies.

> Does it, for instance, work out the dependencies between files
> to determine what needs to be recompiled and what doesn't?

yes.

as a side note, ant was actually developed and used at sun before being given
to the jakarta project.

-mcclain