Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2023 18:31:27 +0200
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: seeking recommendation: UPS for Freebsd

On 4/9/23 00:56, Robert Huff wrote:

> Hello:

Hello.

> 	I have an older APC UPS (BackUPS RS 1500) that after years of
> excellent service _may_ need to be replaced.
> 	Is there a particular brand - or even model - that folks would
> recommend for a medium-to-heavy home office environment?  (This isn't
> the only UPS; it's just the only one causiong problems right now.)
> 	Budget is not unlimited, so I'm not looking for anything fancy;
> just something that will (with replacement batteries) just do its job
> for the next 15+ years.

IME, you won't get 15+ years from a modern APC unit.

I've sold a few SmartUPS and I even have one myself: number is around
the dozen, so it's too little to make stats, however all those from
2000-2010 are still there working properly, while all those from
2011-2015 have already been replaced once.
That said I still suggest APC, because it's still better than the usual
crap.

As an alternative, I had very positive experience with Eaton: it's too
early to see if they outlive APCs, they are usually a little more
expensive (though temporary offers can sometime reverse the game), but I
was impressed by the apparent quality.
Notice however, they are often louder, so a decisive factor is where
they'll be installed.
sysutils/nut works perfectly with them (at least the models I've tried).

  bye
	av.