Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 10:17:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>
Cc:        "Tom T. Thai" <tomthai@future.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN

> It depends on the TA. For example the Zyxel Omni TA128 has two serial
> ports, you connect each one to a serial port on your terminal server
> and use both channels at 64K (that's what I do, I have an Omni connected
> to a Cisco 2511, but am currently replacing this setup with a Livingston
> Portmaster 3).

A good number of TA's will have dual ports on them to allow you to use two
64k channels in one unit, and also to allow bonding of the two channels to
acheive the 128k speed.

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but the PM3's are still using 33.6
cards due to the fact that Lucent/Rockwell still have not come out with
good 56k code for their k56Flex modems.  The Livingston people don't have
a clue as to when they will get it, and all the customers who bought PM3's
with the thought that they would have the 56k by now are in an uproar and
very dissatisfied...I am on the mailing list for them too.  I was going to
go the PM3 route myself, but since all that is going on, I am going to USR
x2 first because they at least have something that works.  The USR Total
control unit, however doesn't support ISDN though (AFAIK), so you would
have to get an I-Modem rack, which from what I've heard aren't bad either.

Just my $.02

-Gary Margiotta
TBE Internet Services
http://www.tbe.net