Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:05:35 -0500
From:      Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading Perl within 5.2

I'm sure this is a silly question, but. I know about use.perl and
so forth for the 4.x series.

Yesterday I installed FreeBSD 5.2.1, and the active Perl port
is /usr/ports/lang/perl, which is v. 5.6.1. I'd like to upgrade
to 5.8.2, which is in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8 and thus I can't
just do "portupgrade perl".

Exactly what do I have to do to accomplish this? "portinstall
perl5.8" doesn't work ("No such installed package nor such port..."),
nor does "portinstall perl-5.8.2_2" (which is said to be the
package name in the README file). The PORTNAME given in the 5.8
Makefile is just "perl".

I assume I could just do a make install from the perl5.8
directory, but how do I do it with portupgrade? And then how
do I get rid of the 5.6 version and rebuild things with 5.8?

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower