Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 13:28:56 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@newsguy.com>
To:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Methods for complete backups?

I backup my data as follows:

Daily tar to floppy for important configuration files

2 to 3 times a week tar to tape for full (trying excluding some
unneeded things)

Once a week dump to tape.

I did both tar and dump partly as an exercise to learn them both.
What I would like to know is which is best to recover completely from
a crash?
What I am looking for is a way to bring back a "minimal" Freebsd box
and use the tape to bring me back to the last backup state.

Any good commercial/free/shareware software that would create a boot
floppy as to not even need to install a minimal freebsd to restore?