Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 08:46:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Commercial version of PGP for FreeBSD?

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Arun Sharma wrote:

> [This message has also been posted.]
> On Wed, 24 May 2000 15:53:54 -0700 (PDT), Eric J. Schwertfeger <ejs@bfd.com> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone else sell PGP licensed so that our company doesn't have to
> > worry about the patent issues (RSA and IDEA)?
>
> RSA patent expires in Sept. A European company holds the patent for
> IDEA - I'm not sure if it's valid in the US.

I didn't think so until recently, but according to the GnuPG FAQ, IDEA is
patented in the US (won't expire until 2011), and the customer won't wait
until Sept.

> In any case, buying a license (which gives you the patent rights)
> and then choosing a convenient implementation (openssl, m2crypto (python)
> etc)

There's been enough debate about whether or not that that is legal that my
current plan is to get the Linux version of PGP, and just go with it if it
works without any problems, and to use PGP only for RSA compatibility,
GnuPG for all else, if there are minor problems.