Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:46:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended SCSI Drives

Recently Cassandra M. Perkins said:

> For about a couple of years I have used Seagate Barracuta Drives.
> In that time, I had to get an inwarranty replacement for about 45%
> of the drives.  I'm looking to purchase new drives and just wanted
> recommendations drives used by the list.  I'm willing to settle for
> slower speeds (and possibly increased cost) for a highly reliable
> and robust drive.

The Baracudda are robust and highly reliabe - if - make that a big
IIFF - you install them according to the spec sheets that show the
proper airflow direction and mounting instructions.

The DIRECTION of air flow is very important.   There is an exact
diagram on Seagate's web page.

Even Seagate says that if the drive is properly cooled the MTBF of
something like 500,000 hours should be reached.  If it not cooled
properly drive life will be about 10,000 hours.

This means that there should be no drive above them - or mounted in
the center of a 3.5 1/2 bay, and proper cooling.   I have a client
who has 3 'cuddas in the their system - rock solid and faithful for
about 2+ years.   However there are THREE cooling fans in the case

Bill

--
bill@bilver.magicnet.net | bill@bilver.com