Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 18:04:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        randyd@nconnect.net (Randy DuCharme)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: screensavers broken?

> I didn't change the kernel tho', what I did was sup a fresh current source
> tree and a
>  'make world'. ( same difference tho ) I've kept the SMP and 'standard'
> kernel
> sources separate for fear of other problems, not to mention that it was
> suggested
> that I do so by Steve.

This is what I do, too.

> So, am I pretty much screwed until SMP kernel sources are updated, or do
> you
> think I can bring it back to life, and , if so,  (it's not a big deal, I
> can run a Uniprocessor kernel if I have to)  how would I go about doing
> that?

Generally, I do the following:

# cd /usr
# mv src src-current
# mkdir src
# cd src
# for i in /usr/src-current/*
> do
>    ln -s $i .
> done
# rm sys
# ln -s /b/src-smp/sys .

Now /sys pounts to /usr/src/sys points to /b/src-smp/sys.

Now I build everything, and everything gets their sys files from the
SMP tree instead of the current tree.  When I build the lkm's and 'ps'
and 'w' and 'ifconfig', etc., etc., which all depend on kernel files,
they build with the SMP headers instead of the -current headers.

Everything then "just works".

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org