Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 03:14:34 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fsck's, "current" vs "earlier releases"

Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> I have 4.6.2-release, 4.7-release, and 5.0-dp2-release on a single PC.
> After some bouncing between versions, and an occasional 'disklabel'
> command, I seem to have the partitions for 4.6.2 in an odd state.
> Both 4.7 and 5.0-dp2 have no problem mounting them, but if I try to
> boot up the 4.6.2 system it fails because 4.6.2 finds that "values
> in super block disagree with those in first alternate".  4.6.2 wants
> me to 'fsck' the partitions manually, but I *think* I remember that
> using the older fsck might cause trouble.

Yes.

You need to recompile a "-STABLE" fsck on the older version of
the OS, so that it can do the right thing about the "don't care"
areas of the superblock.

A generic fix would grow "don't care" regions down, and "care"
regions up, with a boundary offset (which started in the top
25% for forward compatability, and grew down), above which you
didn't complain about differences.

It's too late to implement that, now that people have hacked
up the superblock, an there is an existing installed base with
it hacked the wrong way for automatic binary compatability.

Right now, all you can do is compile a new version of fsck for
your old version of the OS, to make it ignore differences in
those areas.

- Terry