Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 02:22:18 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Greenberg" <werdna@mucow.com>
To:        "SILVER, MICHAEL A" <MSILVER@scana.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with FreeBSD behind a firewall

>FYI:  The FBSD machine also acts as a firewall for a small subnet.  So there
>are actually two firewalls (see diagram below).  Currently everyone on the
>internal net can access the internet successfully.  I am using ifpw and natd
>for this.  Only incoming traffic is failing.
>
>    Internet                               FBSD Firewall
>       o---(public addresses)----o----(10.0.20)-----o----(172.16.1)-----o
>                           HW Firewall                     Internal Net

It is difficult even to guess where the problem lies without more
information, in particular the firewall rules, at least, of the FBSD
Firewall.  However, "stock" firewall rulesets typically have rules to
drop all packets from unregisterable network addresses, such as those
from 10.0.20.0/24.  If you are going to use the 10.0.20.0/24 network
between the two walls, the FBSD firewall should not have such a rule.

In short, this may not be a case of an "FBSD machine not responding
properly," but rather a case of it doing PRECISELY what it was
supposed to do: drop all packets from the red side that originate
from an unregisterable network.

But the devil is always in the details -- without actually looking at
the rulesets or logs of one or both machines, the best you can do is
sniff packets on all sides and try to guess from there where the
traffic is being dropped.
--
Andrew C. Greenberg		acg@netwolves.com
V.P. Eng., R&D, 		813.885.2779 (office)