Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:10:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Cochran <jdc@fiawol.org>
To:        joe_pepin@ins.com, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Home Firewall reccomendations?

> Hello,
>
> I am getting DSL put in soon (finally, something better than the 28.8 I've
> been stuck with for years).  And am looking to build a dedicated FreeBSD
> firewall.  I was hoping to find some tips on good cheap (celeron, AMD,
> whatever) PCs that would do the job.  If I could get it rack mountable, that
> would be perfect.  The places I have found so far that sell the rack mounts
> are only selling dual-pentium or alpha MBs in them.  That's a little much
> for this.  If it's cheapest to build one up, just tell me, I'm prepared to
> do that, and is there a place to get those rackmount cases?
>
> Thanks so much in advance,
> Joe Pepin
If you're just going to use it as a firewall, see if you can purchase a
cheap 486/66 machine. You should be able to get one for a song and a dance
and it's more than fast enough to act as a firewall at Ethernet speeds.
If memory serves me, a lot of DSL modems provide an Ethernet interface.

Hope this helps,
John Cochran