Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 10:40:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <m230761@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        Jean-Henri Duteau <jeand@myrias.com>, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DOS Emulation (*sigh*)

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Jean-Henri Duteau wrote:
>
> > Well, I've fully converted over to the FreeBSD world and I've read the
> > archives of the mailing lists and it appears I'm going to have to get
> > my hands dirty.
> >
> Please do so 8-)...
> >
> > Whoever's in charge, please contact me.  I'm willing to do "stuff" for
> > you. (I believe that this would be Sean or Michael??  I couldn't
> > really decipher that from the archives.)
> >
> Mostly from the Michael's comments, I deduce the state is this:
> *PCEMU is being worked upon and works, but it will only run 8086 and
> perhaps some 80286 code.
> *RUNDOS once worked, it does about the same thing PCEMU does (basically).
> I don't know anything about DOSEMU but the work on that also seems
> suspended. The problem with this apps is that we require someone that
> knows about VM86 and has time.
>
> Could Michael or SEAN release the VM86 and RUNDOS code as it was during the
> last period it worked (please)?

if I remeber correctly... the problem was that the patches weren't in a
CVS tree at the time it worked...  also.. it was a userland hack to ring0
(i.e. user process with complete access to EVERY thing) that was allowing
it to work...  and this isn't a good "production" idea...

from a message by Michael Smith (quoted with out his permission):
(If anyone does want to help; change the size of the sigcontext struct,
 recompile your kernel, and then come back with an enumerated list of
 other things that need to be changed to stop it from crashing.  We
 could _really_ use some help here.)

so that should explaine what needs to be done... assumeing this is still
the problem...  ttyl..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)