Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 2004 07:44:18 +0800
From:      AlanSung <clsung@gmail.com>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@freebsd.org>, Sergey Skvortsov <skv@freebsd.org>, freebsd-perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PERL_LEVEL conditional dependencies

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:02:58 -0700, Ade Lovett <ade@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2004, at 10:29, Sergey Skvortsov wrote:
> > I think your patch for p5-File-Temp:
> >
> > .if ${PERL_LEVEL} > 500800
> > IGNORE=       "This module is already included in perl 5.8.x and later."
> > .endif
> >
> > is senseless and detrimental.
>
> Ok, let's slow down a bit here.  This is obviously an issue that is
> likely to cause much consternation (I'm specifically avoiding use of
> the "b-word" here :)

It's ok, maybe I should pay more attention to this mailing list :)
Another suggestion (quick and dirty, I thought) is to remove IGNORE,
and add a *symbolic link* from core to site_perl directory.
If there is any new p5-File-Temp (on CPAN) in the future, we can just
remove that symbolic link without any damage?
(accomplished by pkg-plist?)

How about that?

> > All p5-ports with IGNORE like "This module is already included in perl
> > X.Y.Z" should be cleaned up.
>
> Well, the standard answer to that would be "patches welcome", but is
> not particularly useful at this point.
>
> Going forward, I would *strongly* recommend that all the perl hooks
> etc. be pulled out into a Mk/bsd.perl.mk -- this is an absolute
> requirement if further work is to be done on the ports infrastructure
> as it relates to perl, since we don't want to be tied into the primary
> bsd.port.mk.

This should be my favorite :)

--
Cheng-Lung Sung <clsung at dragon2/tiger2.net>