Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 16:11:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      "David L. Hays, Jr." <elfkinz@elfland.net>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gtk-1.2.1 install problem

Thanks for sending those two files, and sorry to be such a trouble.

Now I'm getting an entirely different error.  I think I know what to do to
fix it, but I don't have a /etc/ld.so.conf file, and I'm not sure where
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable should go.

---Stuff---
checking for glib-config... /usr/local/bin/glib12-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.1... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong
*** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if
that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it,
although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
***
*** If you have a RedHat 5.0 system, you should remove the GTK package
that
*** came with the system with the command
***
***    rpm --erase --nodeps gtk gtk-devel
configure: error:
*** GLIB 1.2.1 or better is required. The latest version of GLIB
*** is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

What has me stumped is that I had no problem with this at my machine at
work.  Different HW, but basically the same installations, only fewer
troubles.

Thank You for all of your time.

--
|   David L. Hays, Jr.   |   david@elfland.net   |   http://www.elfland.net   |
 I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the little children jump up