Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 1996 18:28:33 +0100
From:      Jose Luis Scanferlato <jls@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Troubles with PPP

Hello,

I'm trying to connect to my ISP using FreeBSD. I've followed all the
instructions in the handbook & faq and I succeeded -just once- using ppp.
Then I tried to use pppd. The pppd example in the handbook suggests using
kermit, but I used chat (why do you suggest using something which is not
included in the distribution CD?). Anyway, pppd refused to work so I decided
to go back to ppp, but it does not work anymore :-(

The situation:
My system:              a standalone machine running FreeBSD 2.1.0
ISP's domain:           vol.it
ISP's gateway:          194.166.29.62 (arneis.intelnet.vol.it)
mailbox account:        jlscanf@mbox.vol.it
nameservers:            two: 194.166.29.62 and 194.20.32.1
netmask:                255.255.255.0 (not sure, but it works with Linux)

Using ppp, after dialing I get:
        Dial OK!
        Login OK!
        ppp ON guayaibi> Packet mode

But when I try to ping mbox.vol.it, I get something like "no route to host".

Other error messages:
- A few minutes after system startup, on the console appears:
  "Deleting route to interface tun0 (timed out)"
  Is there something wrong in /etc/sysconfig?  (Yes, it has routedflags=-s)

- Once I aborted ppp, and the next time ppp spited out a "no tunnel device
is available". This
  got cured with a reboot (there was an unkillable process ppp left).

Browsing the Web, I found examples for PPP servers, dialup routers, but
nothing about ISP connections (except for Linux).

Question:

About setting the /etc/hosts file, the handbook says:

[..]

>        127.0.0.0    localhost
>        10.0.0.1     foo.bar.com        foo
>
> The first line defines the alias ``localhost'' as a synonym for the
current machine.
> Regardless of your own IP address, the IP address for this line should
always be
> 127.0.0.1. The second line maps the name ``foo.bar.com'' (and the
shorthand ``foo'')
> to the IP address 10.0.0.1.

> If your provider allocates you a static IP address then use this in place
of 10.0.0.1.

Well, my provider allocates addresses dynamically. How should I set /etc/hosts ?
a) leave just the first line, i.e. 127.0.0.0  localhost
b) use IP address 0.0.0.0 instead of 10.0.0.1 (as Linux guys do)
c) change localhost IP to 127.0.0.1 (because it should always be 127.0.0.1)
d) none of the above

Another question: during the only successful connection, I mailed myself a
test message and it came back with the From: header set to "Charlie Root
<root@localhost.vol.it>". How do I set sendmail.cf (or whatever) to "My Real
Name <jlscanf@mbox.vol.it>" and the Reply To field as "jls@acm.org" ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Luis

Jose Luis Scanferlato                   "La mala suerte no existe"
Piossasco, Italia                           (Carlos Reutemann)
e-mail: jls@acm.org