Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 08:49:37 +0300
From:      Nikolay Denev <ndenev@gmail.com>
To:        Andrew Young <ayoung@mosaicarchive.com>
Cc:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>, "freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Support for Fusion IO drives?

Fron the zpool man page:

     By default, the intent log is allocated from blocks within the main =
pool.
     However, it might be possible to get better performance using =
separate
     intent log devices such as NVRAM or a dedicated disk.

I was also contemplating the idea of a fast SSD on PCIe as a ZIL and =
L2ARC.
And given the fact that the SSD will not suffer from the different types =
and locations of IO requests,
maybe it makes sense to go with a big SSD, and partition it for a small =
ZIL partition,
and the rest for L2ARC. Anyone tried that?

Regards,
Nikolay

On Aug 29, 2012, at 2:47 AM, Andrew Young <ayoung@mosaicarchive.com> =
wrote:

> Thanks for the great feedback Josh! The optimum size for an ssd zil =
device was still an open question for us. I'm really glad to hear that =
they don't need to be that big.
>=20
> What does zfs do with the zil if there is no dedicated zil device? Our =
servers consist of a small sata drive that holds the OS and a boatload =
of larger drives on a sas bus. What I'm wondering is if I simply replace =
the OS disk with an ssd will I get the same performance boost as if I =
added a dedicated ssd zil?=20
>=20
> Thanks!
> Andy