Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:40:16 -0500
From:      Andrew Boyer <aboyer@averesystems.com>
To:        Hugo Silva <hugo@barafranca.com>, Jan Mikkelsen <janm-freebsd-hackers@transactionware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mfi (Dell H700) + hot swapping doesn't appear to work with RC1

On Dec 15, 2011, at 4:19 AM, Jan Mikkelsen wrote:

> For the mfi controllers I have been testing recently (MegaRAID =
9261-8i), you need to install the sysutils/megacli port, and use that to =
clear the "foreignness" of the disk you just added. Something like:
>=20
>   MegaCli -CfgForeign -Clear -a0

I don't think that's what you want.  You want to use -Import, not =
-Clear, to keep your data intact.

On Dec 15, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Hugo Silva wrote:

> On 12/15/11 15:28, Hugo Silva wrote:
>> As Borja said, part of the difficulty is the H700 abstracting a =
single
>> disk as a RAID-0, I guess. So far I've been unable to find a way to
>> bring the drive back, except by rebooting and recreating.
>=20
> Turns out no interaction is needed after reboot. It was something else
> unrelated. The main issue then is convincing the controller to once
> again accept the hard disk. I'm going through MegaCli "documentation"
> (ie --help).. it's not a pretty place.

I'm not sure it would even be possible to come up with a worse =
interface.  It boggles the mind.

I recommend you always run with this configuration:

# MegaCli -AdpSetProp AutoEnhancedImportEnbl -aALL
# MegaCli -AdpSetProp MaintainPdFailHistoryEnbl -0 -aALL

AutoEnhancedImportEnbl will bring the foreign disk back in on a reboot.  =
LSI recommends turning off MaintainPdFailHistory when using single-disk =
RAID0 configurations.

To bring in a foreign disk without rebooting:

# MegaCli -CfgForeign -Scan -aALL
# MegaCli -CfgForeign -Import [x] -aN (where x is the config number =
listed in the scan, and N is the adapter number)

Adding these capabilities to mfiutil is on my list of things to do, but =
it's not ready yet.

Has anyone managed to get the real JBOD mode working on this controller? =
 It advertises support in the firmware but doesn't seem to do anything.  =
The documentation only lists JBOD mode as a feature of the lower-end =
controllers.

Hope this helps.

-Andrew

Andrew Boyer	aboyer@averesystems.com