Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 1997 16:16:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   POSIX 4 question

A follow up to the earlier discussion about POSIX 4:

In adding the correct interface I'm tempted to:

1. (Easy) Make everything contingent on "OPT_POSIX4" and
"OPT_POSIX4_ENABLED" (second option says _POSIX_C_SOURCE isn't
requesting an earlier interface);

2. #define all of the new POSIX 4 "_POSIX_feature_test" macros so
that at compile time it appears ALL features are possibly present;

3. #define the minimum limit required in the system headers if not
already defined;

4. Have sysconf return that the functionality isn't configured in;

5. Provide stub functions that fail.

Then the functionality can be loaded in one feature at a time via
the LKM mechanism at run time without changing the system headers,
and at LKM load time they can provide the correct info to sysconf.

Comments?  I like the idea of having the infrastructure in place
to ensure consistency in loading, unloading, sysconf, etc.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.               Voice: 508 433 6936