Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:54:53 -0600
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mail Recovery

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9810292355300.766-100000@s8-37-26.student.washington.
edu>, "Jason C. Wells" wrote:
} I buggered up procmail and now I have a file named :0: with 80 messages
} in it.
}
} I moved the :0: file to /var/mail/jason thinking they would be filtered on
} the next mail delivery. They are not. They are just sitting in there.

Naturally.  I'm not sure why you would expect procmail to filter messages
already in your inbox; they're by definition already delivered.  Anyway,
all hope isn't lost.

} I don't read mail from my ${MAIL} box under normal circumstances. All of
} the traffic I gets put in a special mail folder so I can keep all my
} FreeBSD traffic straight.
}
} I am using sendmail, fetchmail, and procmail.
}
} How can I force redelivery and filtering of these messages?

There's an example in the procmail(1) man page that's probably a little
verbose and over-general for your situation, but should work nonetheless
(the important part is the formail -s procmail line):

       Procmail  can  also  be  invoked to postprocess an already
       filled system mailbox.  This can be useful  if  you  don't
       want  to or can't use a $HOME/.forward file (in which case
       the following script could  periodically  be  called  from
       within cron(1), or whenever you start reading mail):

              #!/bin/sh

              ORGMAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME

              if cd $HOME &&
               test -s $ORGMAIL &&
               lockfile -r0 -l1024 .newmail.lock 2>/dev/null
              then
                trap "rm -f .newmail.lock" 1 2 3 13 15
                umask 077
                lockfile -l1024 -ml
                cat $ORGMAIL >>.newmail &&
                 cat /dev/null >$ORGMAIL
                lockfile -mu
                formail -s procmail <.newmail &&
                 rm -f .newmail
                rm -f .newmail.lock
              fi
              exit 0

BuGless                     1997/04/11                         14

PROCMAIL(1)                                           PROCMAIL(1)

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com