Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2006 05:14:59 -0500
From:      "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Areca RAID Card.

The motherboard I just bought, SuperMicro X7DBE, has both PCI-X
133MHz/64-bit and PCI-Express 8x slots, I can't decide what version of
the Areca card to get... I'd like to see some benchmarks of the
ARC-11xx (PCI-X) Vs. the ARC-12xx (PCI-Express).

The PCIe device has a faster bus (PCIe 8x = 2000MB/s) but PCI-X is
tried and true and not too shabby (PCI-X 133/64 = 850MB/s) ether.

I have the option of ether a 1130ML (Infiniband connections) or a plan
jane 1230. I've had troubles with SATA cables in the passed so the
1130ML is very desirable from this stand point. Another thing I'm
worried about is the 1230 will have to much weight on the PCIe 8x slot
because of all the SATA cables. and routing them all is a pain. Does
anyone have a source for an ARC-1230ML? On the other hand I've never
tried the latching SATA cables yet... but the ARC-1130 is $40
cheaper...

I'll sleep on it for now... Thanks all.

--
BSD Podcasts @: