Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:02:13 -0600
From:      Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sparc64 (Ultra 10) Install emulation

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 04:55:19PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 04:40:53PM -0700, Aaron Brandt wrote:
> >
> > Can someone tell me what I need to do to get FreeBSD Sparc 64 installed on
> > a Ultra Sparc 10. It seems as if the emulation is messed up. I have heard
> > of doing a serial install with a dumb terminal but cant find any
> > documentation on it. can someone point me to the correct place?
>
> It's documented in the handbook somewhere.

I found installation without a serial console difficult as well when
setting up my Ultra 5 half a year ago.  Using the 'n' and 'p' (next and
previous) to navigate will likely get you going, Aaron.

The "real" console emulation /is/ a bit wonky, but the serial console is
much better and so is probably the recommended approach. Rather than a
serial terminal I'd suggest just using a null-modem cable connected to
another computer and something like FreeBSD's `tip`. Leaving this
permanently attached and running a getty on it is probably a good idea
too.

Note that a few folks (myself included) are having problems booting with
kernels from recent -current builds. You'll probably want to stick to
source from late October until that issue is resolved (or at least have
a backup kernel handy). If you start from 5.1R and decide to upgrade be
wary of the notes in UPDATING ... the 20030819 note is particularly
important as it may change your devices around a bit. This can be
annoying if your server is 3 hours drive away :-)

I recommend subscribing to the current and sparc64 mailing list when
running a Sun box. It's been a very stable server for me and our local
user group. I wouldn't mind a few more if anyone is giving them away
;-)

-T

--
Semiology has taught us that myth has the task of giving an historical
intention a natural justification, and making contingency appear eternal.