Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:59:56 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port: Intel Fortran (and C++?) compilers

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 01:21:37PM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > 3. The compiler by itself compiles, but does not link; it complains
> >    about lots of undefined symbols.  To get around this, I use the linux
> >    ld, which is not part of linux_base-7 or any other port as far as I
> You could simply use /compat/linux/bin/ld here :)

With a little hacking, I strongly believe you can use the FreeBSD native
linker and produce native FreeBSD ELF binaries.  This is what I did with
the Compaq Linux compilers on the Alpha.

> > 4. After all this, the binary still complains saying
> >
> > ELF interpreter /compat/linux/usr/lib/libc.so.1 not found
> > Abort
> I didn't have this problem either.

Did you use 'linux_base', or 'linux_base-7'?  I suspect 'linux_base'.
For some reason those dealing with the 'linux_base-7' port cannot get it
thru their heads that the port should include a few of the RH 6.x bits
for compatibility with many applications.  (simular to how we offer the
compat dists).

> But icc doesn't understand all gcc-isms, which is why Intel had to
> rewrite a lot of them and put them in
> intel/compiler50/ia32/substitute_headers.  You'de have to do the same
> for any offending FreeBSD headers.

Rather we should fix the headers in the base system.  You should send a
PR with the problematic headers.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)