Date:      Sat, 7 Feb 1998 06:43:58 -0600
From:      Frank Griffith <frankg@idfw.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Mailing through the FreeBSD box direct to the Internet

I have FreeBSD 2.2.5 running on a 486-66 system.

I have it running as a gateway to the Internet for my other Win95
units. While on-line with it the other night, I was talking to one
of my UNIX guru friends about how to add an additional drive.

I needed to send some mail to him, so at the FreeBSD computer's
keyboard I typed:

	mail frankg@idfw.com

while it was connected to my ISP. I then typed in the subject,
a few lines of text and then ended with a "." and to my surprise the
thing worked. I actually saw the FreeBSD mail program send this
mail to my friend and cc: myself. The next morning when I checked
my mail, the cc: I sent to myself was arriving from my mail server
in Salt Lake City.

So I tried to do this again but now for some strange reason all I am
getting is the message:

Feb 7 07:06:52  unix sendmail[168]: gethostbyaddr(207.136.56.105) failed: 1

(207.136.56.105) is my temporary IP my ISP assigned my when I logged
on this morning. Can anyone tell me what went wrong?