Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2013 22:57:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nomad Esst <noname.esst@yahoo.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Changing igb to foo in if_igb.c

>Why don't you use ifconfig igb0 name foo0 to do that?=0A>=0A>You can use r=
c.conf's ifconfig_igb0_name=3D"foo0" to do that >automaticly=0A>on boot eve=
rytime.=0A>=0A>-- =0A>John-Mark Gurney                Voice: +1 415 225 557=
9=0A=0A=0AThank you. Because of two reasons, first I'm studying how to writ=
ing device drivers for FreeBSD and doing something like "Changing igb to fo=
o in if_igb.c" could be very useful, second I want to change this name ever=
y where e.g. sysctl. Besides that doing this in rc.conf causes an extra boo=
t time, and we are trying to decrease boot time.=A0Please help about doing =
this job ...=0A
From owner-freebsd-drivers@FreeBSD.ORG  Mon Oct 28 14:32:12 2013
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:02:10 +0530
Subject: Drivers for my PC
From: Soumendra Ganguly <soumendraganguly@gmail.com>
To: freebsd-drivers <freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org>

Dear driver developers,
                                 I recently bought a notebook (hp
pavilion 15-e006tu) which came with FreeDOS. I installed FreeBSD 9.2
(amd64) on it (using dvd1.iso *), removing FreeDOS and later noticed
that the Wi-Fi is not working. Then I checked the list of hardwares
supported by FreeBSD 9.2 (which I should have done prior to installing
the OS) and found out that some of the components of my PC are not in
the list. For example the Wi-Fi adapter (RalinkTech VQF-RT3290), the
Bluetooth adapter (same model name as the Wi-Fi adapter, Ralink
VQF-RT3290), and I do not even know if the Ethernet interface is
supported. Later I realized that since the Wi-Fi adapter is not
recognized, the FreeBSD installation said something like - 'no
configurable NIC found' (or something similar, I hope you know what I
mean). I really want to use FreeBSD. My other computer has Windows and
Ubuntu on it. I want to port some of my code to FreeBSD. What to do?
Please help! I do not know how to write drivers (I would love to be
able to though) ! Help, please!

* I converted the iso to a usb installation medium to install FreeBSD.
I have created an image of the flash drive using dd(1) on ubuntu and
saved it to my external hard drive for future use.

Thank you. I will be really grateful if someone helps.