From:      Walter Hafner <hafner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Solaris

"Peter McGarvey" <Networks.Manager@rncm.ac.uk> writes:

> To sum up...
>
> Solaris on SPARC is as good as FreeBSD on Intel.  On an Intel Solaris comes
> second.  So if you can afford it get a decent Sun SPARC system.  Failing
> that use FreeBSD.

Unless you got SMP. Solaris x86 SMP is _great_. Lightyears ahead of *BSD
and Linux. I have two old dual processor P/200 machiens with 128 MB
running Solaris 2.6 ... They are _fast_.

In every other respect I second Peter.

-Walter

--
Dr. Walter Hafner                         Tel: 089/289-28187
WWW-Beauftragter, TU Muenchen           Email: hafner@in.tum.de