Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 01:47:12 -0700
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Musings about tracking FreeBSD...

> Waking up and coming back to the real world for a moment here, I can
> say that some of this packaging technology exists now but is still in
> a very green state and requires egcs to compile due to its more
> advanced use of C++ than 2.7.2.x can handle.  It also requires
> Turbovision and/or Qt as interface back-end libraries and both need to
> be egcs compiled to work properly.  All of this makes it a bit hard to
> release it for general play-time and it's really also not quite to the
> state of being ready for peer-review yet in any case, so that's why
> it's not been more widely released.  Even with the work that's been
> done to date and the work we're immediately contemplating, however,
> it's still a pale fraction of the "wish list reality" I depict above.
> That's where I'd really like to *get* to, not where I expect to get to
> right away (unless a lot of people become suddenly infected with the
> idea and start coding like possessed maniacs, I guess). :)

Release it and let's see.  I am really pleased to see these tools (EGCS,
QT and TV) being used despite the difficulty it poses for distribution.
A little risk in the form of a break with convention is warranted and a
great deal could be achieved.  I would guess you have endured some
criticism on this point although I have no way to know.  I think the
payoff will be worth it; contemporary tools will make a difference, if
only to inspire those who would care to put them to use.

There are several dozen rather productive 'possessed maniacs' over at
kde.org.  I often wonder how much of this is due to QT.  I know this; QT
and EGCS (w/STL) are what keep me up late.  I can see TurboVision doing
that too :)  Release it and let's see.

What thought has gone into the next 'official' compiler?  I would like
to think the GCC-2.8.x branch could be skipped.  By all accounts,
EGCS-1.1.x is at least as stable, and considerably farther along the
standards track.

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.