Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 17:49:56 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, nate@trout.sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf Makefile.i386

Rodney Grimes writes:

>You are missing a very important fact about genassym, it *IS* heavly
>dependent upon the kernel configuration file.  Your not going to be able
>to make a version of the binary genassym that will work for all kernel
>builds.  It must be built and run on the ``hosted'' system, it is
>meaningless to build a ``targeted'' system version of it.

But the same could be said about any "tool" used to make a kernel.

I see absolutely no reason why you should treat the correct production of a
genassym that ends up on the target machine any differently from say gcc. I
should be able to precompile EVERYTHING and then recompile ONLY those
elements that depend on something that has changed. So maybe that means
that genassym gets recompiled almost anytime I change the kernel. Maybe it
doesn't. "Make" should properly take care of it in either case. There
should not be a special case for this one tool.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net