Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 07:58:03 -0500
From:      "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
To:        "ListServer FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Cable modem ISP keeps timing out

Gurus,

Two or three times a day I will lose my
"connection" to the outside world with
RoadRunner cable service.  I can ping
my NIC and cable modem but nothing else.

I can "reset" by doing a shutdown <ctrl> d
Then I get the same IP address, netmask
(I think), and DNS's.  Then connectivity
is back.

So I have two questions:

1. How can I re-establish connectivity
without re-booting.  I've tried

	# dhclient ed0

but I lose the IP address I did have and
returns an error message (sorry can't recall
it right now).  So I end up rebooting.

2. I'd like to know what is going on so I
can start complaining to my cable ISP.  It's
mildly inconvenient when I'm at home and can
work on the console of the gateway.  When
I'm working away from home, it's a real
hassle.

Regards,
Doug