Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 23:10:56 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>
To:        kmartin@infoteam.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6; buildworld with -O3, groff fails...

On 31 Mar, Kenn Martin wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Apr 1998 02:57:20 +0200, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>
>>I tried a 'make clean buildworld' on a newly cvsup'd 2.2.6-stable with
>>/etc/make.conf's CFLAGS set to -O3 -pipe -m486
>>
>>groff fails to compile, and gcc dumped core possibly with error 6?. (I
>>talked to my girlfriend over the phone, and she told me this by reading
>>the screen, so I can't be more specific. I can give you more details
>
> Same here.  Tried -O2 and everything _seems_ OK; haven't done an
> installworld yet.  This is on a PentiumPro 200, 128MB RAM.

I've been running a -O2 world for a couple of weeks, just to see if it
made any difference.  The kernel went up from about 650k to about 750k,
so I guess some inlining is happening.  There were one or two compiler
crashes, but I think I've got a dodgey memory system: I'm running
without an L2 cache at the moment, which helps.  From memory, there's
just one file (a yacc parser, I think.  Could even be groff) that causes
gcc to break on -O2, and has to be compiled at -O.

--
Andrew

"The steady state of disks is full."
				-- Ken Thompson