Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:29:04 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        pippo@bellnet.ca
Cc:        eladioventura@hotmail.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: switch languages

pippo@bellnet.ca wrote:
> At 04:18 PM 10/31/2002 +0000, you wrote:
> I have to slap my own hands - dumb.
> I was not clear - When I say I have to switch languages, I am using
> OpenOffice (trying to replace MS Ofc) and have to use text and graphics
> in the same document. So, I don't think that  I could use emacs since it
> is a text only editor.

It depends on what desktop you are using. The one I am playing with
right now is KDE-3.0.4 and that is a preferences>peripherals>keyboard
option. You have to enable keyboard layouts. I have only tried Spanish
and it is hit and miss. You also have to click the little language
symbol on the status bar and is located just to the left of the
clipboard tool on the right side. Canadian with deadkeys may do the
same thing for you. The deadkeys don't work in a console window and I
am only using kword from kde.

Printing the layouts is something else. I found
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/keyboards/keyboards.asp
Where you can choose the keyboard layout and it pops up a graphical
representation that you can print. For example, much of what you want
can be done on Windows with the English-International keyboard. The
right <alt> key becomes <altgr> and turns on most of the international
characters that you would have to generate by switching languages and
using the dead keys.

I think that anything I can do in Windows is capable of being with the
keyboard layouts enabled. I haven't got beyond turning on Spanish from
the status bar and using the deadkeys.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart