Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:36:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      muhammad usman <usmanbsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE server (high traffic in WDM network)

Hi,

I've little off topic suggestion regarding network design.

The solution you are implementing will mean to make hundreds of users share=
 the same broadcast domain. As all your FTTH and other DSLAMS would be work=
ing in bridge mode.
This scenerio is not safe as if anyone of your clients will start his own p=
ppoe server you will be in strange trouble, there can be other issues too.

I guess your DSLAMs must have built in pppoe support and radius client, if =
its there then every port of dslams can be separate broadcast domain. This =
will cause you extra routing management (depending upon your scsnerio)

In case your DSLAMS have no pppoe feature then i would suggest you to at le=
ast put every DSLAM's uplink port in deparate VLAN and connect pppoe server=
 using trunk port or multiple single ports.

And before implementing this solution consult your DSLAM vendor cause ive o=
bserved problems in ipdslams when used in bridge/transperant mode.

Regards
usman