Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 18:00:21 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Good News! FreeBSD monopoly! (Was: Good News! Commercial Bac

On Sunday, 12 September 1999 at 20:03:18 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 11:20 AM 9/13/99 +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>
>>> Brett isn't raising good points. Brett is raising Brett's points.
>>>  The fact that they provoke such a strong response from you suggests that
>>>  they may be good points indeed.
>>
>> Probably not, they're just plain emotional manipulation to get people's hackles
>> up.
>
> Actually, I'm stating them with as little emotion as possible. They're just
> FACTS, that's all. The issue is, what to do about them?

Brett Glass is an invader from outer space.  That's a FACT.  Of
course, I don't have any proof.

>>>  Not so. I've pointed out, however, that FreeBSD is losing market share and
>>>  is being crowded out of its niche by Linux.
>>
>> What a positive statement! I'm so reasured by your continuing support for
>> FreeBSD.
>
> If I did not support FreeBSD, I wouldn't express concern about this. I'd say,
> "Oh, goody! Linux is winning!"

I support FreeBSD.  And I say (in somewhat different terminology) "Oh,
goody! Linux is winning!".  They're not winning against us, they're
not even really winning against Microsoft, they're winning against the
whole closed source mind set.  And they're doing a lot of our
evangelism for us.

>>>  I say that it has revealed some nagging problems which are doing FreeBSD
>>>  You're blaming the messenger.
>>
>> *THATs* a cop out. 'You can't critisize me - I'm just the messenger'
>> I'll say what a lot of other people have said, you state the problem without
>> suggesting any decent solutions.
>
> Have you been off in hyperspace somewhere? REALLY. I've been proposing many
> solutions -- including some very bold ones that'd take a big chunk of my own
> time, money, and energy. Execution, however, depends on avoidance of sabotage
> by either Walnut Creek or FreeBSD, Inc., either of which could kill the
> project and perpetuate FreeBSD's slide.

Like me, he's probably been ignoring you due to your low signal to
noise ratio.

Greg