Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 1996 15:53:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog>
To:        hdalog@zipnet.net
Cc:        scsi
Subject:   Re: Setting disk sector size?

> > Well, according to scsiformat, the sector size *is* changeable.  I've
> > gone through all four -P values, and discovered that the default value
> > is, in fact, 512.  Obviously one alternative would be to reset the disk
> > to its default value.  Does anybody have any ideas on that?
> >
> > -P 1 (changeable values) lists all the fields, but all are set to 0.
> > Does this mean anything?
>
> It means they aren't changeable - changeable fields will be all 1 bits,
> non-changeable all zero bits.

That's funny that the default is 512 bytes, then.  And how come
scsiformat -pv shows all the parameters?

> Maybe there are some other steps you have to take before the block
> size become changeable, such as a jumper or a setting in a different
> mode page.  I'm afraid nothing jumps out at me looking through the
> direct access mode pages, though.

Since this is a used drive, we don't have any information about the
jumpers.  Looking at the drive, I'd guess it's made by IBM, and it has
very few jumpers.  I think I'm going to have difficulty following that
possibility.

It seems to me that an obvious approach would be to try to write
back the mode page and see what happens.  What command does that?

Greg