Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2006 19:10:39 -0500
From:      Dan Olson <danolson@visi.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Turion X2 Laptop SMP Problem

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Saturday 21 October 2006 13:20, Dan Olson wrote:
>> Hello All
>>
>> I just bought a HP dv6119us Turion X2 laptop and can't seem to get it to
>> do SMP.
>>
>> To get it to boot I have to add to the boot prompt or loader.conf
>>
>> set hint.apic.0.disabled=1
>> set hint.sio.0.disabled=1
>> set hint.sio.1.disabled=1
>>
>> When booting with apic enabled the system slows to a crawl and the
>> keyboard input is slow.  To slow to register key events or log in.
>>
>> Below is a verbose dmesg with apic disabled on 6.2 beta2.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions on getting SMP to work or diagnosing
>> the problem?
>>
>> I've seen another complaint from July 06 but no resolution.
>>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/2006-July/008508.html
>>
>> I'm working on submitting a PR for this.
>
> Can you leave APIC enabled but disable just SMP via kern.smp.disabled=1 to see
> if it boots up ok?

Sorry for the delay. Real life intruded.

Using:

set kern.smp.diabled=1
boot

at the loader prompt doesn't fix it. The same symptoms persist

I've filed a pr with more info with a verbose boot message with apic
enabled.

i386/104678

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/104678

Thanks for taking an interest in this.