Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:49:49 -0400
From:      "Bill Moran" <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        <booloo@cats.ucsc.edu>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Partioning recommendations for server with a lot of disk

>  Most the servers I've deployed over the past
>couple of years I've built with just swap and /, and I really like the
>simplicity of that.  Perhaps I suffer some increased exposure to the
>consequences of disk errors in this configuration, but the tradeoff with
>never having to worry about a partition filling (before a disk fills) has,
>to date, paid off.

It is nice ... I occasionally use that same setup - but very little. Mainly
on test boxes that will be redone later anyway.

>However, with 50GB, I'm feeling less comfortable with the big / and nothing
>else.  Can anyone offer advice as to why I might prefer multiple partitions
>instead of one big one (or vice-versa)?

I can tell you a story ...
I have a backup server I installed for a client. It has /, /usr, /var, swap
and /data partitions. The data partition is the staging area where most disk
activity occurs. A week ago, for some unknown reason, the /data partition
became corrupt, and I was able to fix the problem by simply unmounting it,
re-newfsing it and remounting it. No effect on the running system.
Other reasons:
I usually keep spool directories (for print/mail servers) on dedicated
partitions, that way if someone tries to DoS the server by filling up a
spool directory, it doesn't bring the whole system down.
Keeping / seperate from any other busy filesystem is a good idea, so
filesystems that are doing a lot of read/write won't increase the potential
of a corrupt / filesystem, thus you always have a booting system.

>Any responses would be appreciated.  I feel like I'm in limbo with this
>stupid machine because I can't decide on the partitioning...

If you really don't know where you need the space ... there are two
solutions that will work well 90% of the time:
100 M /
2XRAM for swap
1G /var
4G /usr
leave the rest unpartitioned and you can add it later if you need it.
The other way is to use the same layout, but after laying out /, swap and
/var, use whatever's left for /usr.

Personally, I prefer to keep things like filesharing on a seperate
filesystem and I almost always label it /data. There's no reason you MUST
use the /, /var, /usr layout. If I had a lot of users logging in, I'd make
/home a seperate partition.
Mostly depends on what the machine will be doing.

-Bill