Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 16:59:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Kent A Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unused functions

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Kent A Vander Velden wrote:

>   Is the code associated with unused functions of a used archive ever removed
> from the executable that uses the archive?  After linking I see with 'nm'
> there are many functions in the executable that are never called.  This is
> making my executable rather large since the archive is huge.  Would elf
> help in anyway with this?

Do you realize that many of the libc functions need each other as
dependencies?  Many functions just don't work alone.  At least for
shared executeables, they don't exist in your executeable until you
actually execute it, anyways, so they don't bloat your executeable at
all.  They get linked in during the startup task of locating and loading
the executeable into memory, before it really starts to work.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).