Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 14:52:16 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Socketd <db@traceroute.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Secure FTPd

On Sunday, Oct 6, 2002, at 10:50 US/Pacific, Socketd wrote:
> I have read about adding SSL support to ftpd, but I can't remember
> where
> I read it. I am running a ftp server using the ftpd in the base system
> and now I want to only allow encrypted ftp connections. What should I
> do?
> Use /usr/ports/security/stunnel, to make universal SSL support to POP3,
> IMAP and FTP? Or is there a better way? (I don't want to use ssh's
> ftpd).
>
> Can I also use SSL with SMTP? I read that it was done once, but people
> don't use it anymore?

The problem with adding SSL to ftpd is the clients.  You would have to
create an ftp client with SSL added also.  ssh's sftp has that
capability and there are 2 generally available clients - sftp and scp.
I believe there are clients for most computers.

qpopper provides SSL for POP3 which works with most of the common mail
clients.  You may have to provide a popper port for both 110 and 995 in
order to pick up both the older and newer clients.  I have had to
provide both.

SSL can be used with sendmail.  There is a lot of information available
at www.sendmail.org.  I have not tried that yet.  Its on the list of
things to do someday.