Date:      Mon, 03 Aug 1998 15:39:19 +1000
From:      Alex Helbig <alex@muse.org.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ACER 10/100 Ethernet Card in 2.2.7-RELEASE

Hi All,

I am having some hassles with the above mentioned card.  This card uses a
digital 21140-AF chip which 2.2.7 recognises as de0.  The card is 10/100
autosensing.

I have just upgraded from 2.2.6-RELEASE to 2.2.7-RELEASE.  In the 2.2.6
machine the card I used was a 3Com 3c905-TX 10/100 autosense card. The
supported hardware list indicates that the code to support this model 3Com
card was a little buggy so I thought I'd use the opportunity to change
cards when I changed to the new release 2.2.7.

Since the upgrade I have installed and everything is working correctly,
except that roughly every two seconds I get a message on the console saying:
	de0: link down: cable problem?

But it all works!  Any ideas why the error message?

Points to note:
	* I am running up the box on a 10Mb segment not the 100Mb where it will
eventually be.
	  But the 3com card was quite happy yo move back and forth between speeds.
	* I never tried the DEC based card under 2.2.6 to know if the problem
existed there too.
	* I have tried using ifconfig to set each of the LINK0-2 flags and no
setting of this
         seems to make any difference.

Suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
Alex.
                     \\\///
                    / _  _ \
Alex Helbig                        Somerville House
Head Of I.T                        17 Graham Street
ph 07 3248 9224                      South Brisbane
ahelbig@somerville.qld.edu.au         Qld Australia