Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 11:17:27 -0700
From:      Jeffrey Hsu <hsu>
To:        wstout@pixi.corp.es.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (fwd) trouble installing FreeBSD 2.0.5

  > 	I have one SCSI drive on a 1542 card dedicated to FreeBSD.
  > 	The machine is...
  > 	i486/33
  > 	16 Megs ram
  > 	IDE control with 2 400 Meg drives
  > 	SCSI adaptec 1542, 766 Meg
  > 	Mitsumi single speed CDROM
  > 	Sound Blaster
  > 	5 1/4 and 3 1/2 floppies
  > 	Hercules SVGA video 1 Meg ram

  > It doesn't seem to set up the boot manager.
  > When I reboot there isn't a boot manager installed.

You can manually install a boot manager from DOS.  I recommend osbsbeta, which
is on the first CDROM in tools/osbsbeta.exe.

  > Is there some way to boot from floppy?

Try using the boot floppy, except rather than accepting the default
on-floppy kernel, use sd(0,a)/kernel or hd(X,a)/kernel, where X=2 probably.

  > Is there some way to exit the installation program and remain booted?
  > I could them find the kernel and dump it to floppy.

There's supposed to be a shell you can get to by typing Alt-F2(? one of those
FN keys), but there's no need to do this.  The above methods should work.