Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:50:02 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.dk.tfs.com>
To:        hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: I want to restructure pccardd....

In message <199701282020.FAA03167@lenlen.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp>, HOSOKAWA Tatsumi wr
ites:

>I'm planning to rewrite pccardd (and related interface of sys/pccard)
>from scratch because,
>
> [...]
>
>Any comments?

I'm a little bit torn on this one.  On one hand, I hate to have a daemon
like pccard to do what the device-drivers really should be doing, on the
other hand I don't like the idea of adding the necessary code to the
kernel too much either.

Considering that we will need to have a daemon running anyway, to do
the necessary userland initializations (ifconfig &c) I pressume we
might as well have it do the CIS parsing and all that jazz...

So based on that I guess the answer is "yes, go for it".

Now, having reached this position let me ask a really nasty question:

Why not make this a tcl application ?  You wouldn't have to write a
parse and all that, and it would be so much more flexible...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.