Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 06:50:34 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, jerry@freeside.fc.net, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem capturing video with BT848/Haughpage Win/Tv

Luigi Rizzo:
 |> This is a flaw in the current X server protocol model. It can tell you
 |> what happened now what is about to happened .
 |                ^^^ i assume this is "not"
 |
 |you mean that you know that a window is occluded but don't know what
 |parts of the window are visible and what not ?

Yes, that's an issue, but more importantly you don't get an event when your
window is Partially Occluded and another piece of the then-visable area is
occluded.  You only get events when window occlusion (who's covering me)
changes between:  Totally Unoccluded, Partially Occluded, Completely Occluded.

Short of polling the window list rapidly, there's no way to stay up-to-date.

Then there's the asynchronous nature of X, but I described a bit about that
in a msg last night.

Randall